Literature bits, most from somewhere, some original.

February 5, 2011

Ascension

The blunt edge of the axe came swinging right at me
I dodged and I rolled but still it connected
Square on the side of my head, hard it came.

I remember the ground giving way below my feet
And falling without end, faster until I hit the street
I remember thinking everything was OK
I'd pick myself up and make him feel sorry
But soon I realised I could see nothing but black.

I panicked and I felt fear rising up in my chest
I blinked but felt nothing; I couldn't feel my tongue
I tried moving my fingers but they refused to oblige
And I knew I'd be dead soon because I didn't feel the snow
Get colder and colder as the night wore on.

Then I slept. For a night and a day and a night
When I awoke, I was in heaven
Around me was white, warm and quiet
I knew I was dead because I felt no anger
No regrets; no ill will at the person who'd caused this.

I felt a touch, warm and soft
I opened my eyes to an angel's face
She was dressed all in white; a halo around her head
With soft eyes and hair that flowed like water
She smiled and asked how it was that I felt
I nodded and smiled and felt very dumb
She said I was lucky and I couldn't agree more
With all my sins I surely belonged in hell.
She said it was OK, that the Almighty forgave all
All one needed to do was to forgive all too.

I told her she was the most beautiful angel I'd seen
She blushed and grew quiet and then floated away
I tried to get up and follow but I couldn't move a muscle
That's when the man in a white coat and stethoscope walked in.


- Anonymous.

0 comments: